Photography applicant using camera

How to apply for a full-time course

Read our helpful advice on how, when and where to apply for uni

You can apply for full-time Bachelor's degree courses, integrated Master's degree courses and most other undergraduate courses through  (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service).

UCAS handles most undergraduate applications for UK universities. It's handy because it means you don't have to apply to universities separately.

Each year, you can apply for 5 choices (5 courses at up to 5 universities) through UCAS. You can also apply to us directly on each course page.

Ways to apply

If you're applying for a full-time undergraduate course, you'll typically apply through UCAS. In some cases however, it might be more beneficial to apply directly to us.

Applying through UCAS

UCAS is the central application system that all universities in the UK use. You can only apply to five choices - so it's important to do your research and narrow down your options. If you're applying with the support of your school or college, you'll likely apply through UCAS.

You'll also apply through UCAS if you're:

  • Applying to multiple universities or courses
  • Want to track all of your applications in one place
  • Want easy access to lots of options for your application, such as UCAS Extra or Clearing

Applying directly

Most of the time, students apply through to us through UCAS. But there are some circumstances where you can apply directly to us. This can be useful if there's no need for you to use the UCAS application system, such as if the 鶹AV is your only choice.

You can apply directly if:

  • You don't want to navigate the UCAS system
  • You're only applying to 鶹AV
  • You're applying for credit transfer (only at the 鶹AV)

Applying to UCAS through your school or college

If your school or college is registered with UCAS, you can apply online and submit your application to a member of staff who’ll send it to UCAS for you.

Your school or college will let you know how and when to do this.

Applying to UCAS independently 

If your school or college isn't registered with UCAS or you want to apply to UCAS directly, register on the  and complete an application.

What to include in your UCAS application

To apply through UCAS, you need:

  • the UCAS course code(s), which are at the top of our course pages
  • the institution code for the 鶹AV, which is P80
  • a Personal Statement of up to 4,000 characters that shows why you’d make a great undergraduate student
  • If you’re not applying through your school or college, you’ll also need a reference from someone who knows you academically or professionally such as a teacher, tutor, principal, head teacher, manager or supervisor.

You can save your progress on your UCAS application. So you don’t have to complete and submit your application in one go.

Frequently asked questions

There is a small fee for applying through UCAS, which is detailed on the UCAS website. The UCAS 2024 application fee is £22.50 for applying to a single course and £27 for more than one course.

It's best to submit your application by the UCAS 'equal consideration deadline', which is usually towards the end of January (of the year you want to start your course). The deadline date is available on the UCAS website.  

You can still apply after the January deadline, but you could miss out on your chosen course because it could become full or the entry requirements could change.

You can submit your application from September in the year before you start your course, so you’ve got plenty of time to put together an application.

When you submit your application, UCAS will send us your details and we'll send you an email to confirm your application. You'll also get confirmation from UCAS that your application was received.

UCAS will also send you details of how to log into , which you use to follow the progress of your application.

Taking a gap year (deferred entry)

Taking a gap year is a great way to learn new skills, travel, earn some money and get some work experience. If you want to take a year out before you start your course, apply for 'deferred entry' when you complete your UCAS application. If you’re not sure, see our advice on the pros and cons of deferring your place.

Many of our courses accept deferred entry, but some don’t. Contact our admissions team to find out if the course you’re applying for accepts deferred entry before you submit your application.

If you want to apply for deferred entry, it's still best to apply as soon as possible. You’ll need to meet the conditions of any offers by the end of August in the year you apply, not the year you start.

If you don't apply for deferred entry on your UCAS application, you can switch to deferred entry up until the start of your course (provided your course accepts deferrals).

Guardian Selects

Join us at an Open Day

Get a taste of student life at 鶹AV, by visiting us at an Open Day.

You'll learn more about courses, meet potential new classmates, hear from our academics and talk with our support teams.

Book now

TEF Gold 2023

Gold rating in national assessment of teaching excellence

Our TEF Gold rating ranks 鶹AV amongst the top universities in the UK for teaching. 

Find out more